Strawberry and Brie French Toast
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole milk
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) cinnamon
- a pinch of cardamom
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 8 slices French bread, 1.5 inches (3.5 cm) thick
- 300g brie cheese, sliced
- 3.5 cups (875 mL) strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- icing sugar
- maple syrup
- In large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and sugar. Cut slices of bread horizontally to form a pocket. Set aside 1 cup of sliced strawberries for garnish. Place slices of brie and strawberries in pocket, press down lightly. Dip bread slices in egg mixture, turn to coat each side. Place bread slices on a cookie sheet, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- In large frying pan melt butter over medium heat. Add bread slices, cook each side about 2 minutes or until golden and cheese starts to melt. Remove from pan, dust with icing sugar and garnish with strawberries. Serve immediately with maple syrup.